Resources for Walkers
The Oregon Road Runners Club has a supportive community of walkers as well race walking events available to help support your training goals. Check out the club training page where we have some group training events each week and considering joining the community.
ORRC Walker of the Year Award
The ORRC “Walker of the Year” award is based earned points:
- 1st Place – 10 points
- 2nd Place – 9 points
- 3rd Place – 8 points
- 4th Place – 7 points
- 5th Place – 6 points
Sign Up for the ORRC 5K Series
Each race in the 5K series is for runners or walkers.
to earn prizes and meet other walkers!
Walk for Health and Fitness!
- Use the crosswalk.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing
- Establish eye contact with drivers.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Wear brightly colored clothing and reflective clothing
- Walk against traffic on roads with no sidewalks.
- Wear comfortable shoes that give support and that
will not irritate your feet.
Walking can decrease your risk of many health problems:
Walking as part of your daily routine helps you to:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Injuries and falls
- Increase efficiency of heart and lungs
- Lower blood cholesterol
- Control weight
- Reduce stress and enhance the quality of your sleep
- Improve your mood
- Tone muscles