Resources for Walkers
2013 Walking Events with Separate Awards for Walkers
March 2: Champoeg Park 10K
May 4: Hagg Lake 10K and 10.4-Mile
May 27: Up The Lazy River 10K
September 28: Best Dam Run 10K
October 12: Blue Lake 5K
2013 Running Events with Walkers Welcome but No Separate Awards for Walkers
January 5: Y2K 2-Mile, 10K, 20.12K
April 14: Vernonia Half-Marathon
June 21: Summer Solstice 5K
July 4: July 4th 4-Mile
August 10: Garlic Festival 2-Mile, 10K
September 2: Wildwood Trail Trial 10K
November 28: Turkey Trot 4-Mile
Please Note Change to the ORRC Walker of the Year Award
The ORRC “Walker of the Year” award is now based purely on the points received
first overall walker will get 10 pts,
second will get 9 pts., etc.
Walk for Health and Fitness!
- Use the crosswalk.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing
- Establish eye contact with drivers.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Wear brightly colored clothing and reflective clothing
- Walk against traffic on roads with no sidewalks.
- Wear comfortable shoes that give support and that
will not irritate your feet.
Walking can decrease your risk of many health problems:
Walking as part of your daily routine helps you to:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Injuries and falls
- Increase efficiency of heart and lungs
- Lower blood cholesterol
- Control weight
- Reduce stress and enhance the quality of your sleep
- Improve your mood
- Tone muscles